Using TYRE

Using TYRE
dasilvarsa
300 Posts
300 Posts

Re: Using TYRE

Post by dasilvarsa »

Yes and No
Google Maps on Android is flawed in that it uses a lot of mobile data. You cannot make the Map Local forever.
The best currently that I found is Here Maps (Here Drive) on Windows Phone (Nokia Lumia Range).
It uses the same Map Data as Garmin and the Map can be Downloaded to the Phone via Wi-Fi forever. All Maps are Free all Countries are free forever.
Traffic does use a bit of mobile data but it's not compulsory.
Usually the speakers from cell phones are too soft to be of any use in navigating and mounting is a huge pain in the butt. Powering the phone is also an untidy process.
RHD does not work on Nokia or Android.
The Answer for me is NO
Dedicated Navigation Device is better and is the reason for the existence of this and many other forums.
Nuvi 3490LMT + Garmin Forerunner 35

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”
― George Carlin
Jan Horn
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jan Horn »

In an emergency you can use a Swiss Army knife or a Leatherman but when it come to doing a proper repair job you still need the tool designed for a specific task. I feel that they cram too many features into the new smart phones. One must bear in mind that unless the complete map is installed on the phone the device makes use of your network coverage to access the maps. That means where you don't have network coverage you do not have navigation. One also tend to forget that although it seem that the maps are for free there is hidden cost considering the bandwidth used to download the maps and keep it up to date relevant to your position while you travel. Also consider features like lane assist, junction view and speed limit display and last but not least RHD.
Jan
Garmin Nuvi 52 Garmin Drive Assist 51 Samsung Galaxy S21
JohnJohn
50 Posts
50 Posts

Post by JohnJohn »

Thanks Jan and Dasil for your quick response. I am not going to fight back on this one.
Maybe i am making not enough use of any of my Garmins. Some user's use their units daily
and then data becomes an issue if they make use of their phones.
This Saturday i am driving down to Cape Town and will never think of using my phone all the way.
If i am down there i will either use my phone for short distances or look up my destination on
Google Maps on my phone, print that piece of map out, look in Street view how the building looks
and of i go.
If you need more that this, make use of your GPS.
Then the last thing. You can follow any of your family members exact position on the road on your
mobile if both of you have Smartphones without making use of any buttons or sending anything.
Got you!!!!! Ha...ha... :roll:

Thanks again everybody!!!!!
Johan.
Units: Nuvi 500, GPSMap 62s, Nuvi 3790LT, Nuvi 2595LT, Nuvi 3590LT, Caska.
Jan Horn
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jan Horn »

I f you drive to Cape Town you will pass through 4 sets of Asod's on th N1 starting 32km short of Beaufortwes all the way to Laingsburg. The 190km from BW is devided in 3 sections roughly 60 km each. I logged the camera at the start just outside BW. We need the positions of the other three around Leeugamka, Dwyka and before Lainsburg. It would be greatly appreciated if you could assist. My plans to return from Cape Town via the N1 changed somewhat. I am going back to Knysna on Saturday. :grin:
Jan
Garmin Nuvi 52 Garmin Drive Assist 51 Samsung Galaxy S21
JohnJohn
50 Posts
50 Posts

Post by JohnJohn »

"If you need more than this, make use of your GPS." :lol:
Units: Nuvi 500, GPSMap 62s, Nuvi 3790LT, Nuvi 2595LT, Nuvi 3590LT, Caska.

Return to “Creating Routes from Google Maps”